The Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo (ACGK) is a nonprofit organization that seeks to improve the cultural life in greater Kalamazoo. Founded in 1966, ACGK’s mission is to enrich and engage the Kalamazoo community through the arts. Members include arts organizations, individual artists and business and community partners. Support comes from a wide area and includes individual donors, foundation and state grants, and community and business partners. The Arts Council accomplishes its mission through arts programming, management services, regranting programs, education, advocacy, and event promotion.
ACGK is an organization that serves arts and culture throughout our community. We don’t make art, but we do help make the arts thrive. Much of the work we do is behind the scenes, and a great deal of our time is spent in one-on-one meetings with our members – with artists, advising them on how to write grants, or with organization leaders, helping them plan new programs. Because of our links within the community, we make connections that bring people and resources together.
ACGK networks with other community organizations, including those in education, human services and economic development. In this way, we make the arts part of our community dialogue.
- We help artists and arts organizations produce music, theatre, dance, visual, media and literary art.
- We administer three grant programs for both individuals and organizations.
- We provide exhibit space for visual artists.
- We produce Art Hop, an evening of art exhibits and great fun taking place monthly in downtown Kalamazoo.
- We produce Art on the Mall, a weekend long event, supporting local and regional artists.
- We promote collaborations of arts organizations.
- We produce Concerts in the Park, a series of free summer concerts in Bronson Park.
- We produce All Ears Theatre, a series of radio theatre dramas performed live and re-broadcast on WMUK.
- We provide information and networking for artists and arts groups.
- We manage the Epic Center, a home to 11 arts organizations, a retail store and a restaurant.
- We manage Blue Skies, a program designed in an effort to encourage the performing arts and provide an opportunity for entertainers to perform for the public.
Read the Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo's five-year strategic plan here.
Join Our Mailing List
We'd love to have you! Please click here to submit your contact information via MailChimp to join our mailing list. You may opt out at any time. For questions or comments related to our mailing list, please contact BMcCann@kalamazooarts.org.
Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo
359 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Suite 203
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
Telephone: (269) 342-5059
Fax: (269) 342-6531
Office Hours: M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm
1st Friday after Art Hop 9:00am - 12:00pm