The Arts Council promotes and supports the arts, arts organizations, and artists throughout greater Kalamazoo.
Much of the work we do is behind the scenes either in meetings with our members, advising them on how to write grants, or with organizational leaders, helping them plan new programs. We help to create connections within the community that bring people and resources together.
We network with various community organizations, including those in education, human services and economic development, to name a few. The arts community in Kalamazoo always remains in the forefront of our dialogue.
- We help artists and arts organizations produce music, theatre, dance, visual, media and literary art.
- We administer five grant programs for both individuals and organizations.
- We provide exhibit space for visual artists.
- We produce Art Hop, a free evening of art exhibits taking place monthly throughout our community.
- We produce Art on the Mall, a weekend-long event, supporting local and regional artists.
- We produce Concerts in the Park (free summer concerts in Bronson Park) and promote it, as well as programs from nearby communities, through Summertime Live.
- We produce All Ears Theatre, a series of radio theatre dramas performed live and re-broadcast on public radio.
- We connect artists with resources, and each other, through membership benefits as well as promoting and supporting arts events.
- We administer a fiscal sponsorship program allowing for the incubation of new projects to be supported as they grow.
- We manage the Epic Center, a home to 11 arts organizations, a retail store and a restaurant.
The Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo exists to infuse arts and culture into the commercial, educational, and creative economies of our region.
The Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo
- is dedicated both to enriching and engaging our community through artistic and cultural experiences through a roster of programs and services that serve the needs of our community (4.2.a)
- provides a connecting point for artists, artistic and cultural organizations, and the publics we serve with the express goal of providing opportunities for both organizational and member-focused advancement (4.3.b)
- provides access to a broad range of artistic and cultural opportunities through grants, promotion, advocacy, and free programming to the seven county region which we serve. This would be achieved through attaining a nimble internal culture that values equity, diversity and access (5.4.d) and fostering a broader understanding of biases and barriers to access within the arts (4.3.c)
Access: the freedom or ability to obtain or make use of something remains at the heart of what we do and why we do it. By cultivating broad points of access, arts and culture participation in Greater Kalamazoo can advance …
Inspiration: the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions. Since we serve a community that expects arts and culture experiences of all kinds, our appreciation for inspiration in all shapes, styles, and forms involves …
Dialogue: the exchange of ideas and opinions in order to continually push Greater Kalamazoo to engage arts and culture activities to create opportunities, address challenges, and celebrate points of pride. Open and inclusive exchanges of this importance require …
Empathy: the genuine appreciation for, awareness of, or sensitivity to the feelings, thoughts, and experiences of another person. To maintain these values over time mandates …
Sustainability: the method(s) used to ensure that resources, fiscal and otherwise, are not depleted or permanently damaged by our efforts.
Please click here to sign up!
Office Hours: M-F, 9 am - 5 pm