Kalamazoo Artistic Development Initiative (KADI), funded by the Irving S. Gilmore Foundation, is designed to support individual artists in their endeavor to develop themselves and their art through projects or professional development. Attention is paid, and weight is given, to the artistic merit of a project, or how a professional development opportunity will help further an artist’s career. There are two separate categories for this grant: Professional Development and Project Support.
• Arts Project Grant Maximum Ask: $4,500.00
• Artist Support Grant Maximum Ask: $2,000.00
• Grant Guidelines: 2021 KADI Grant Guidelines
• Professional Development Application: APPLY HERE; Project Support Application: APPLY HERE
• Application Release Date: Round I – March 15, 2021; Round II – October 15, 2021
• Application Deadline Date: Round I – May 17, 2021; Round II – December 15, 2021
• Final Report: A pdf of instructions can be found HERE. You can submit your final report online at: kalamazooarts.slideroom.com. Final report is due one year after receipt of award letter. Please review final report requirements upon receipt of your grant award.
Consultations: The Arts Council offers one-on-one conversations to help applicants navigate each of our programs and understand the best program for their needs. We provide technical assistance with grant writing, as well as referrals.
Workshops: Before each grant deadline, the Arts Council holds workshops throughout Kalamazoo to assist applicants with understanding the grant’s specifications. Seasoned grant writers as well as first time applicants are all welcome to attend. Workshops are free and open to the public.
We are here to assist you with any grant related inquiries. Please email Kristen Chesak or call (269) 342-5059.
Individual artist grant recipients are required to submit a W-9.
The Internal Revenue Code provides that the full amount of an individual artist grant is taxable to its recipient. For questions regarding income-tax liability, contact the Internal Revenue Service or a personal tax advisor.
Additional information on filing taxes as an individual artists.
Who Can, Who Should File Schedule C With the IRS
Taxes for freelancers, artists, writers…
The Michigan Cultural Data Project
Chronicle of Philanthropy
Irving S. Gilmore Foundation
Kalamazoo Community Foundation
Find your Michigan Senator
Find your Michigan State Representative