The State of Michigan, Michigan Council for Arts & Cultural Affairs (MCACA), Region 8 Minigrant is our state-funded grant program. Minigrants provide up to $4,000 for locally developed, high-quality arts and cultural projects as well as up to $1,500 for professional and organizational development. These are special opportunities to address local arts and cultural needs, as well as increasing public access to arts and culture. Minigrants support a broad range of artistic expression from all cultures through projects which preserve, produce or present traditional or contemporary arts and culture and/or arts education.
The Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo, the Regional Regranting Agency for Region 8, serves the following seven counties in Michigan’s Southwest Prosperity Region: Berrien, Branch, Cass, Calhoun, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph, and Van Buren.
- Guideline Release Date: Art Project Guidelines | Professional/Organizational Development Guidelines
- Project Maximum Ask: $4,000.00
- Professional Development Maximum Ask: $1,500.00
- Application Release Date: Round I – Now Open! | Application available online at mcaca.smartsimple.com. | Round II will open if funding available.
- Application Deadline Date: Round I – August 3, 2021. | Round II – January 14, 2022 (if funding available).
- Eligibility: Applicants are limited to registered non-profit organizations, schools, colleges/universities and municipalities, located in the state of Michigan. Federal and State agencies are not eligible to apply. Professional Development grant requests are open to both 501(c)(3) organizations as well as Individual Professional Artists.
- 2021 MCACA Final Reports: Please refer to your grant agreement. For Professional Development: Final Report Instructions; For Minigrant Arts Projects: Final Report Instructions
- MCACA Media/Logo: CLICK HERE
- Acknowledgement Requirements and Promotional Toolkit: CLICK HERE
- Budget Template. This is a practice template. Please remember, save to desktop first, then open, revise, save as, etc. CLICK HERE
To read about other grant opportunities from the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, click here to visit them online.
A portion of Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs funding is provided by the National Endowment for the Arts.
Arts Council Services
Consultations: The Arts Council offers one-on-one conversations to help applicants navigate each of our programs and understand the best program for their needs. We provide technical assistance with grant writing, as well as referrals.
Workshops: Before each grant deadline, the Arts Council holds workshops throughout Kalamazoo to assist applicants with understanding the grant’s specifications. Seasoned grant writers as well as first time applicants are all welcome to attend. Workshops are free and open to the public.
June 24, 2020 virtual workshop: please click here to view the video.
We are here to assist you with any grant related inquiries. Please email Kristen Chesak or call (269) 342-5059.
Individual Artist Grant Recipient Tax Information
Individual artist grant recipients are required to submit a W-9.
The Internal Revenue Code provides that the full amount of an individual artist grant is taxable to its recipient. For questions regarding income-tax liability, contact the Internal Revenue Service or a personal tax advisor.
Additional information on filing taxes as an individual artists.
Who Can, Who Should File Schedule C With the IRS
Taxes for freelancers, artists, writers…
Logos for Published Materials
Sample Itemized Budget
The Michigan Cultural Data Project
Chronicle of Philanthropy
Irving S. Gilmore Foundation
Kalamazoo Community Foundation
Find your Michigan Senator
Find your Michigan State Representative