Attention Kalamazoo Area Writers (and aspiring writers)!
Theatre Kalamazoo, the consortium of Kalamazoo theatres, is now accepting one-act and 10-minute plays and radio plays by Kalamazoo County residents for the 7th Annual Theatre Kalamazoo New Playfest to be held at the Epic Theatre in February 2019.
The intention of the New Playfest is to cultivate new works and assist writers in the development of their plays. Therefore, we welcome first-time writers and first-draft scripts!
Up to 8 plays will be produced by one Kalamazoo theatre and presented as public staged reading during the festival, February 8-9, 2019. Participating playwrights will also receive a stipend. Since its inception, over 75 new plays by writers from Kalamazoo County, Western Michigan University, and Kalamazoo College have been developed by the member theatres of Theatre Kalamazoo.
The guidelines for submitting to the Playfest are as follows:
1. The deadline for submissions is July 15, 2018 (no late submissions will be accepted).
2. Interested playwrights must be residents of Kalamazoo County and can be any age.
3. Playwrights may submit one-act plays (11-40 pages) and ten-minute plays (up to 10 pages), but may only submit one play in each category (up to two plays total).
4. The scripts should be in standard play format (for standardizing the play format please click HERE. We also encourage the submission of new radio plays, which should follow the appropriate format for radio theatre.
5. Plays should be submitted by email to: email@example.com.
· Include in the email subject heading: “Theatre K New Playfest Submission” and the category the play should be considered for (one-act or ten-minute).
· Please omit identifying information (author’s name, etc.) on the title page or the body of the play. Instead, include the author’s information in the email, along with all necessary contact information (email, snail mail –including zip – and cell #).
· Include a brief synopsis of the play with your submission that includes a cast of characters and a break down of the number of actors needed, including character types (gender, ethnicity, etc), necessary to do the play.
Selected plays will be announced by early September. Playwrights are encouraged to attend all the rehearsals leading up to the readings so they can develop their script with the theatre company–and attend the public staged-reading!
Email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org