CALL FOR ARTISTS – Public Art
CITY OF FARMINGTON DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY PUBLIC ART COMMITTEE “CULTIVATING COMMUNITY” MURAL PROJECT 2018
“CULTIVATING COMMUNITY” mural project is a partnership between the City of Farmington Downtown
Development Authority and local area businesses within the downtown area. The project aims to
promote visual art in the City of Farmington’s public space by commissioning original art work in
the form of 2-dimensional murals from Michigan based artists. The murals visual content should
center on the theme “Cultivating Community” in reference to the City of Farmington. Participating
artists are encouraged to use the local neighborhood and culture as inspiration for their design,
which may be representational or abstract in nature. Selected artists may also be able to
participate in public programming and/or promotional events related to the mural project.
Artists must be based in Michigan and work in a medium applicable for 2-dimensional murals (i.e. paint and/or drawing media).
A stipend of $2,500.00 (to include supplies) will be offered to all selected artists participating in the program.
Artists may submit up to two entries for consideration per application. Only one application per artist.
There is no entry fee required to submit an artist application.
Entries must be emailed to Kate Knight at email@example.com with “Cultivating Community Mural” in the subject line.
Notification of Acceptance:
All artists will be notified via email by June 1, 2018.
Completed Application form
CV or Resume
Concept Sketch (jpeg; 72 dpi; 2MB max)
Artist Statement – Describe the concept, visual elements, and inspiration for your design.
Budget and Project Timeline
5-10 Images of previous work (jpeg; 72 dpi; 2MB max each; LastName_FirstName_entrynumber)
“Cultivating Community” Mural Project Conditions:
1. Artists are required to create original work designed specifically for the “Cultivating Community” Mural Project.
2. Artists will use media that ensures mural longevity and durability, including a protective clear top coat of varnish/medium to seal the artwork from environmental damage.
3. Artists will meet the standards of artistic quality and suitability for the City of Farmington’s DDA District and community.
4. The City of Farmington, City of Farmington Downtown Development Authority, Public Art Committee, and participating Venues cannot provide any security or insurance for the artist’s participation in the Mural Project and any related programming.
5. Artists are responsible for all expenses associated with completion of the mural project. A stipend of $2,500.00 will be issued to all participating artists, and includes commission as well as all costs to materials, supplies, and travel expenses.
6. Participating artist’s biography and/or other promotional information including previous work and exhibition history will be used for promotional purposes by the City of Farmington and/or the City of Farmington Downtown Development Authority.
7. The City of Farmington Downtown Development Authority Public Art Committee will select the participating artists and their works from all available applications.
8. Upon completion, the mural will become the property of the City of Farmington, as a commissioned art work, and can be removed, relocated, borrowed, donated, and/or sold at the discretion of the City of Farmington.
The mural will be created directly on the south-east external wall of the building in Downtown Farmington. The wall is approximately 17’ x 72’, currently painted white, and textured. Artists are encouraged to visit Downtown Farmington in person for inspiration. Community information may also be accessed via the City of Farmington DDA website at www.downtownfarmington.org.
TO APPLY, visit www.downtownfarmington.org
© 2021 - Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo. All Rights Reserved.