The “Dexter Art Gardens” is an annual outdoor artwork exhibition sponsored by the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee, and the City of Dexter. Four (4) temporary outdoor artworks will be juried and placed on temporary display with the City’s permanent collection for one (1) year: June 2021 – May 2022. The selected pieces will be installed on concrete pads in highly trafficked locations in historic Dexter, Michigan.
Applications may be submitted through CaFE™ – https://www.callforentry.org
The City of Dexter is located seven miles west of Ann Arbor in Southeast Michigan, along the banks of the Huron River and Mill Creek. Residents and visitors can enjoy a day on a river, walk along nature trails, or bike on the Washtenaw County Border-to-Border Trail, stopping in our historic downtown for lunch and some shopping. Cultural activities and attractions include an artwork display, local theater, historical museum, summer concerts, ice skating in the winter, community festivals, and several City parks.
Each selected artist will receive an $900 stipend.
Definition of Artwork in this Call for Art
Three-dimensional artwork suitable in scale and materials for public outdoor display.
Application and Project Timeline
▪ January 29, 2021 – Application period opens
▪ February 26, 2021 – Deadline for application submissions.
▪ Week of March 30, 2021 – Artist notification of selection by email or phone.
▪ June 1– June 15, 2021 – Artwork installation.
▪ May 15 – May 31, 2022 – Artwork removal appointments to be made during this time.
Benefits to the Exhibiting Artist
1. $900 stipend to be paid after successful installation.
2. Artwork exhibited at high visibility sites in the heart of Dexter, a cultural destination city in Southeast Michigan
3. A plaque with the artist’s name, artwork title, and price posted near the artwork.
4. A year-long promotional campaign
a. Print brochures – The City of Dexter will publish and make available to the public: online and print brochures throughout the year to inspire self-guided walking tours of the exhibition. These brochures are also distributed during the well-known and highly-attended annual Dexter Daze Festival and Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival (August 2021, if permitted).
b. Electronic media – The City of Dexter will publish information about the artist/artworks on its website and Facebook page.
• Entries will be critiqued on artistic merit, originality, technical quality, and durability.
• Artwork must be original, created by the artist, available for sale, and remain on exhibit for one year: June 2021 – May 2022
• Entries must be durable for year-round outdoor display.
• Only freestanding artwork – without electrical or special lighting requirements will be considered.
• Artwork must be durable in design and material to withstand the Michigan climate and public display for one year.
• The artwork will be installed in high traffic areas and must be safe for public display and interaction.
Shipping, Delivery and Installation of Artwork
• Installation by the artist will occur between June 1 – June 15, 2021.
• Artist is responsible for the cost of and arrangements for delivery and installation of their artwork.
• Artist is responsible for the cost and acquisition of the proper bolts to secure the artwork.
• Free standing artwork must be adaptable for installation on a cement pad.
• Artist or artist’s designee must be present for installation.
• The City of Dexter will make available, upon request and prior arrangement, a bobcat and/or backhoe for unloading and placing of the artwork on the assigned concrete pads.
• City personnel will assist the artist with the securing of artwork onto the concrete pad.
De-Installation of Artwork
• De-installation of artwork will occur between May 15 – May 31, 2022.
• Artist is responsible for the cost of and arrangements for de-installation, shipment and transportation of their artwork after the exhibition closes – including if said artwork is sold to a third party.
• Artist or artist’s designee must be present for de-installation.
Artwork for Sale
• Artwork must be for sale during the exhibition. If sold, the artwork must remain on exhibit until the exhibition closes.
• The City of Dexter will manage the sales transaction in consultation with the artist.
• Michigan sales tax of 6% will be assessed, collected, and remitted to the State of Michigan by the City of Dexter.
• Sales Commission Split – After all expenses and taxes due are paid, the artist will receive 70%, and the City of Dexter will receive 30% of the sales price.
• The artist is responsible for negotiating the terms of delivery, including costs with the purchaser, once the artwork is released from the exhibition.
• “Dexter Art Gardens” is open to all artists 18 years of age and older.
• Artist may submit up to three (3) original artworks.
• Complete Applications – Applications, and all requested information, must be complete in full. The City of Dexter may, at its discretion, disqualify any incomplete application.
• Applications may be submitted through CaFE™, https://www.callforentry.org
• Applications may also be submitted in hard-copy to the City of Dexter, 8123 Main St., 2nd Floor, Dexter, MI 48130 or via e-mail to JBreyer@Dextermi.gov, include Dexter Art Gardens in the e-mail subject line.
Upon selection, the artist will be required to complete the following documents:
▪ Contract – including images use rights etc.
© 2021 - Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo. All Rights Reserved.